Sunday, November 1, 2009

God Made You On Purpose For a Purpose

In 2002, The Purpose Driven Life, written by Rick Warren, became one of the best selling non-fiction books of all time, and stayed on the New York Times Best Seller List for one of the longest periods of time in history. The publisher, Zondervan, expected sales of about a quarter million copies. There are now 30 million copies in print.

What does this say about our society? People are wondering, "What on earth am I here for?" they are searching, and they are seeking. "What is the meaning of life?" is perhaps the most asked question of all time.

It is a simple question, with a simple answer. You were made by God and for God - and until you understand that, life will never make sense. It is about becoming what God created you to be (Warren, 2002). St. Augustine wrote, "You formed us for yourself, and our hearts are restless till they find rest in You."

Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Listen! Listen! God has a purpose and a plan for your life!

So what is your purpose? What we do for us, does not last. However, what we do for God will remain forever. When we live according to His plan, things tend to fall into place. Without clear purpose, life will seem empty. We will live desperate lives drifting from job to job, or relationship to relationship, seeking to fill the emptiness and void in our life. Everyone's purpose is unique. Perhaps it is to sing, to teach, to discover, or to heal. More often than not, it is to impact one another. Maybe it's what comes naturally to you, or what you love to do. God loves to give us the desires of our heart when we look to Him. Don't look within for your purpose, look to Him. We are each born with different talents and passions so that everything in the world will get done! Each one of us needs to live a passionate life and leave an impression on the world. What kind of a legacy do you want to leave?

It took me 33 years to realize that God had a purpose for my life. I am not here by accident. He is in control. He knows all the details of my life.

I remember attending church one Sunday where the speaker held up a puzzle that had been assembled and glued together. The puzzle had some missing pieces. She shared with us how the previous week she had handed out a piece of the puzzle to each person. Everyone wrote their name on the back of their piece of the puzzle. The pieces were then collected and the puzzle was assembled and glued together. She went on to share how we each have a purpose, and how we are each gifted in different ways. Together we can accomplish many things. When some are not willing, it leaves a void and things do not get done. The missing pieces represented those that were not willing. The puzzle was not complete. As I left service that day, I almost felt left out. I had been gone the previous week. I was not a part of the "puzzle." As I started to get into my car I happened to look down, and there at my feet was a piece of the puzzle. One of the missing pieces! I heard God say that day, "You are an important piece of the puzzle. I see you. I need you."


Psalm 139:13

"For You formed my inward parts, You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they were all written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them."

No comments:

Post a Comment