Friday, January 1, 2010

Living Dangerously

Recently I attended a Christine Caine conference in California where she spoke about living "dangerously." I was encouraged by this woman who once very ordinary, now speaks before thousands of people and is the founder of the A21 Campaign, an organization that fights human trafficking.

When I think of living dangerously, I am reminded of the Biblical story of Esther. The story of Esther (a true story) is about an evil man named Haman who is plotting to massacre God's people. Esther is used by God to save her people and leads the nation to freedom. Esther was an ordinary, orphaned Jewish woman, raised by her cousin Mordecai, who ends up becoming a queen. Esther proves to us that God opens destiny to any person willing to follow Him. A famous line in this story is Mordecai's plea to her, "Who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" Esther's response is one of someone willing to live dangerously. "And so I will go to the king, which is against the law; and if I perish, I perish!"

What we need to understand is that life is risky and safety is a myth. Jesus did not die a death of persecution for us so that we can be "nice" and do nothing with our lives. We need to take risks and stop living mediocre lives. We can believe that God has great things in store for us. Why? Because God is not small, he is a great big God. We try to shrink God down through religion, culture, and traditions. He is much bigger than that.

This past year God has opened my eyes to new things such as global social issues. God has purposely created us for a purpose. Psalm 39:11 says our lives are as a vapor. Time is short. It's time to bring God out of the church and our Christian subculture. This year we can make a difference whether it be in our families, in our community, or globally. Opportunities await. It's time to live dangerously!

"We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Years Day." - Edith Lovejoy Pierce

Happy New Year!

9 comments:

  1. Opportunity!! Yes, that is a great word to use for this New year 2010!!!
    I can only say that yesterday is gone ( Thank you Jesus for the strength to make it through) and tomorrow may never be... What will be written on my page of life today? I want to be the best I can be and give HIM, the only ONE, the opportunity to be glorified in my life...great read Jodi...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Yes I think Opportunity is the word of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your insight and belief! True, life is risky and like you, I believe, we all have opportunities to take risks and yes, in His Directions the "risks" becomes divine and in His Grace-glorified. Everyday, I make a decision to do an IEP or teach a child, I have been given an opportunity to - change or improve a "life". When I talk to each missionary we support - indeed, I find out they all have taken "risks". However, as a person, I am built with culture and traditions. I think that our bible is filled with culture and traditions that are pleasing to God. I also believe that I have some culture and traditions that I want my children and their children to embrace because it is good and valuable and also believe that "Jesus has enjoyed in me". Sometimes, when one of my daughters do the "same" culture; I'm amazed how I "praise Him" for that culture or tradition.
    I love your thoughts, Jodie, sometimes my job is an "opportunity given to me"; and/or sometimes stumble on opportunities; And I do believe the "Lord make it happen."
    Happy New Opportunity Year! I like mine and will keep it going in His Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Espie, I just want to clarify that I also do think that culture and traditions are important. The point I was trying to make is that sometimes people, or the church (religion) puts "God" or "people as individuals" in a box due to Christian subculture, church tradition, or religion. Just one example, in thinking of Esther, is when someone thinks God can't use you because you are a woman. If Christine Caine had been told she couldn't travel the world and speak or start a dangerous campaign against human trafficking because she was a woman she would be limiting herself due to someone's tradition, religion, or culture concerning women. God is going to increasingly move in new and different ways and we need to start thinking out of the box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm gratified by your clarification. I think that my culture and tradition had a great impact in my life. Perhaps, without my combining heritage, I will not be what I am today. I like challenges and that is what life is - we can't win all the time but what matters is "how one drives to victory when one falls down".
    But I totally agree with you and by the way, it is healthy to discuss different opinions and I love to learn from you. This is me, I love to learn everyday....
    I believe that I am amazed that disparaging women does not only happen in American Churches, but maybe nationwide. Even women's lib organizations had major differences in supporting Hilary. Most of them alienated "Sarah Palin".
    Remember the time when we had to elect women deacons at our church. (Dan and I were in a major "cold war" during those days). Some people in our church disagreed women being deacons and actually caused a split. Sad, but it happened. And truthfully, at that time, we lacked strong, capable men leaders. Take the US Presidencial position, as an example - probably, it might take another century to have a "woman" as President of the United State. It will happen but might take "some WOMAN". Even the underdeveloped "macho" Philippines have had women presidents. Since you have mentioned Chritine Caine's heart's desire against human trafficking, I will pray that God will allow her to fulfill her campaign against human trafficking.
    Don't worry, I am certainly one that has been "out of the box". There are times when I have been pleasingly assertive-(TP) knows; and my principal also knows that sometimes I am bluntly diplomatic- "agreeing to disagree"; maybe, I think being a "woman" at "da range" is even harder (I was told). Perhaps, I can do more...I pray to will to do mare and take "risks" to glorify Him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments. That is a great point about the Phillipines and their putting women into office! It's great to be able to discuss these things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend went and saw Blindside. After she said what that family did was "living dangerously." I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jody,

    You know this is a "God thing." What else could it be? Coincidence? I don't think so. Ok, God is preparing me to do something...I need to be in prayer and open to the possibilities. Mom, a friend, my friend/guest speaker at church and now you, all speaking to me about making a difference and answering God's call. I am excited. I say Bring it on! : ) I miss you so much. BTW, I am going to save this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you are following God, not much is coincidence! I am so excited for you! I miss you too. Our meeting in Europe when we lived in two different countries was a God thing. Here we are almost 20 years later. I miss you too my friend!

    ReplyDelete